Sunday, January 24, 2010

A New Agenda, in a Romantic New World


It has been pointed out to me numerous times that the name Alchemic Artisan brought to mind not the person selling brightly coloured yarns and fabric, but instead images of a dimly lit tinkering room full of copper and brass, where a person in neo-victorian dress squinted at tiny vials of this and that, fitting together bits to make something beautiful and useful. While I myself have always had a certain fondness for the romantic, imaginative world of Victorian europe and her grand sense of adventure and discovery, I thought it just a personal remnant of curiosity, not something that othe people cared about.

And then, one fateful trip to a thrift store showed me differently. It started with a red leather coat my husband simply had to have. It ended with me stitching up a vest in a dimly lit workspace and tailoring some pinstripe pants to fit him. Suddenly I realized that Steampunk could be more than a wish for adventure, it could be real, and I could make it so.

This sudden notion was further inspired by the varied interest and excitement we received as we strolled down the street in our new fare. Many grand complements were imparted to me on the magical transformation of my husband, the grunge-hippy, into this handsome adult that stirred the imagination. And I realized, this new world I had fallen into was much too grand Not to share.

So, the shop has been re-imaged, new business cards have been ordered, and the blog has recieved a facelift (from this point forward all my Non-Steampunk crafting, such as the T-Yarn and other random projects, will be on the new Fabricated Transmutations blog!) and soon enough, once the Arizona rain stops and I can begin to take pictures again, The Webstore will be full of leather, lace, ruffles, and pinstripes to delight any Neo-Victorian!

~Kirial

No comments:

Post a Comment